Monday, February 28, 2005

The Journey to NeelKanth Mahadev Temple.....

When I look back at those days of my journey in search of spirituality and peace I find the most etched memory and at that exciting was of the journey to reach Neel Kanth Mahadev Temple which is 31 KM away from Rishikesh. This place is on top of a hill surrounded by many other hills equally special and pious.

I wanted to start earlier in the late night or lets say early in the morning but the local Forest officials turned us down as the road meanders through a jungle where the famous Indian elephants roam at night in search of food and water. So we three could only set out for Neelkanth Temple at early morning.

The road which lead first all along the river Ganges and I could see after 10 Kms the Ashram where I was staying on the other side of the river (We had to go back 10 kms to cross the river as with our car as other suspension bridges all along the route can only take pedestrian or two wheeler crossings) which was looking serene in the early morning mist. After almost a 15 kms we left the banks of river ganga and started tracing the path by one of the tributaries which is supposed to give anyone the power of 3 years of meditation if one takes a dip and then slowly the journey changed its tack …. The route became all uphill with the tyres of our car screeching over loose gravel and gave me quite a fright just by looking at the side of those loose gravel roads which dropped down almost 1000 feet’s… and then I came across a strange sight of a Crane removing debris at such a height that I started wondering how it could reach such a place with its huge crane and big tracks.

The place is powerful as its believed that the Lord Shiva himself came there to meditate. The story is that Lord Shiva was finding it uncomfortable keeping the Poison inside his Adams Apple (That is why Lord Shiva is called Neel (Blue) Kanth (Adam’s Apple) as he took the poison when it came out of great churning of sea in the war between Gods and Evils) so he went out to search for a cool and comfortable place to sit and relax. Finding the Hill on which the temple is located he sat down and started his meditation. After nearly 40,000 years His wife Sati (Goddess Parvati) started getting worried about Him so went out in search of him and found Him deep in meditation here. Not willing to disturb his meditation she also started meditating while waiting for him to come out of his Dhyaan. Soon almost all the Gods and Goddess started coming over there and occupied all the hill around and after 20,000 years Lord Shiva broke his meditation of 60,000 years and blessed all … Its supposed that the Shiva Linga that is there in the temple is Lord Shiva himself and the tree under which he meditated still is there after the Vat Tree was completely overshadowed by Pipal Tree and then by a shrub….

The most exciting experience that I spiritually felt was when I was 5 Kms away from temple. I suddenly felt light hitting between my eyes and I felt overwhelmed with sense of calm and an electric sensation ran down my spine. I felt a dejavu which is hard to explain and I felt a cloud of light over my head through out the remaining journey. I went into meditation and started my mantra Jaap (Continuous chanting of mantras) while still in the car …

We reached the temple premises at 7 AM and removed our shoes, clothes and had a bath. I took out the Holy Shiva Lingams that I was carrying from Varanasi and went to do Puja at the sanctum sanctorum near the Swayambhu Shiva Linga. The complete bliss and the happiness to be where I have had missed last time completed my euphoria. I meditated for an hour there in the presence of Lord Shiva and then reluctantly came out….

This place is very powerful to be in and as I had long chat with one of the Sadhus there who gives as a blessing ash from the fire he does homam. According to him that even now some times Five Gods came to do prayers to lord Shiva.

Om Namah Shivaya
Virtual

3 Comments:

Blogger j8j88 said...

Hi, great blog!

I would like to go to Neelkanth. Did you journey there alone?

Is it possible to drive all the way there? I remember reading somewhere that cars are only able to go to a certain point...

12:11 PM  
Blogger Virtual said...

Yeah I did journey there alone with my driver and the car. Yes the cars can go upto the temple...
Om Namah Shivaya
Virtual

7:23 PM  
Blogger Sachin Datta said...

Jai Bholenath.

I hav been to the temple before but i wanted to ask actually what are the rates for doin panchamrit snan or rudrabhishek ??. Are the pandas greedy there ??

Wud request if u can post the reply on dattasachin@gmail.com

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home